Wednesday 16 October 2024

Day 52 - turn back time and redo

 izayoi sakuya (touhou) drawn by greenkohgen

Day 52
 
I love fencing, I hate dealing with incompetent managers. Wish I could simply come to office with a sword and fight the boss. Sadly I work from home. 

There's a topic that sometimes returns to me and my wife when we have no better stuff to discuss - what would you change if you woke up suddenly ten years ago, remembering all that happened but being stuck in the past as your past self?

We both agree we would probably get together a year or two earlier, maybe even more if our current personality overwrote our past selves. I think I would start fencing earlier, probably a year or two earlier. Most likely right after I become fully independent financially, which happens around the end of my first degree studies.

I would probably not grab Credit Suisse as my first employer in contract office. That ship was sinking faster than a slab of granite. We would probably not buy plot of land after wedding, instead choosing to safeguard our money as gold or something. It was an option we considered back then.

We would not, for the sake of everything that's good and decent, go to Malta for our honeymoon. That place was a fucking disaster full of bugs, smelly trash and homeless beggars. Perhaps we would choose Vienna or Prague instead. In fact we would be glad to forget we ever went to Malta.

All those changes wouldn't change the trajectory of our life much. We would still get together, marry after a year, have two kids and buy our current house. I would still choose contract office instead of normal job when our kids are small, since it takes a lot of bureaucratic burdens off me. We would still have the same hobbies, the same lives. Just a small quality of life changes.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Day 53 - I need a nekomancer

  Day 53   Today we got visited by a person with a cat, wishing to give us this cat, and her daughter... quite clearly aiming to go back hom...