Tuesday 8 October 2024

Day 44 - It's a kind of magic

 https://img10.joyreactor.cc/pics/post/full/art-%D0%B4%D0%B5%D0%B2%D1%83%D1%88%D0%BA%D0%B0-art-Morry-Evans-artist-8301020.jpeg

Day 44 of NPC-like log.
 
Sometimes while writing fantasy I wonder what I would do having magic. My first thought is usually that I would murder someone. I'm prone to anger and impulsive under stress. My current solution is a training dummy in garden getting hit as hard as life hits me. Thus I'm pretty sure if I had magical powers I would probably kill someone who angers me unless either I get some real self-control or magic cannot do such thing.
 
Otherwise I would probably seek a job that uses my magic best or hide my magic depending on attitude of others towards it. I bet my wife would think up several ideas on what can be done with any power I might have.
 
Nevertheless - magic. Fun thing, usually does what people wish was easy and possible. But eventually most magic becomes easy and possible thanks to technology, or even new spells are developed because technology outshines magic in specific aspect. For example take notice that long distance communication magic was uncommon in books, comics and movies until mobile phones got invented. If technology can do it, magic can't be worse, right? 

I think such a concept would be extremely cool in fiction. A setting where magic is better than technology in some aspects of life, but much worse than tech in some others. It would be quite cool to see mages being able to stop bullets with a wave of their hand, but shooting back is still more efficient using actual gun.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Day 50 - tedious

  Day 50.   I haven't touched translation of my book in a while. Probably because it's a type of work that is dangerously similar to...