Friday 20 September 2024

Day 26 - so sick and tired of being sick and tired

 hatsume mei (boku no hero academia) drawn by hiro_illust11

Day 26. I fucking hate day 26.

I'm heavily under the weather and my latest training was too much. I feel sick and tired and I'm sick and tired of it. I'm trying to be better, to be more than that. For my wife, for the woman I love. But I'm not a robot, ya know? I can't just swap some wires and postpone flu and muscle pain for a few days like it's some bad alarm clock.

Talking about robots and time. When I write science fiction I do not find IT, my own field of work, to be interesting or cool. I find mechanics, engineers, people doing physical work on a spaceship to be much more amazing. I guess I'm a bit burned out. I loved IT for years, I was maniacal about AI! From elementary school up to the end of my university years. But after a few years of having it all as my day job... it all lost it's magic. Or rather became the type of magic I don't really like.

A soft type of magic without clear rules is something I don't really like. I still can enjoy the story and world building around it, but there is something fundamentally wrong with it that makes me disconnect from magic system. This is why it's easier for me to fantasize about being a mage in the world of a game than in, say Harry Potter series. I'm no superhero in Boku no Hero Academia, I'm not a wizard like Gandalf nor Harry. I love rules. I'm a warlock from D&D, a Nen user from HxH, even a sorcerer from Dark Souls or a Witcher.

IT is very much like soft magic. IT being like magic was part of the reason why I loved it in the first place. It still retains a lot of that, like literally creating something from nothing. However IT gained a lot of arbitrariness from soft magic. Hacking into something often relies on enemy making mistake, being lazy or just undiscovered flaw in security. Modifying footage from camera or photos is now just "AI did it".

This is why when I use IT people, hackers and the like, in my stories I treat them like arbitrary wizards. They have exactly all the abilities needed for the plot and nothing more. And they use them only when it's plot relevant, being too lazy to solve other issues with their magical powers. Or sometimes their powers just don't work, who would expect?

Installation wizard will now proceed to fuck up your day.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Day 51 - my job here is done

  Day 51   I got an offer to join another project in my contract management company. Which means quite a surprise for my current job folks i...