Sunday 15 September 2024

Day 21 - the great gamble

 xelloss (slayers) drawn by pupukachoo

Day 21 of NPC-like log!
 
While I usually tend to keep it safe there were some situations in my life when I had to take a gamble. One of those gambles was buying a house with a loan. Back then I took a generally considered worse option - higher inflexible payments instead of inflation-adjusted lower ones. That gamble certainly paid off with my country sliding into so-called populism. Government after government kept buying votes from the poorest people in the country by increasing minimal wage, which in turn caused high inflation... and now my monthly payments on house loan are inching dangerously close to be equal to the minimal wage. In addition assets I planned to sell in the future (like plots of land) raised in price too. Sure, my own job isn't as well-paid as it was before, but shrinking my loan down to the minimal wage expense by sheer stupidity of politicians is luck beyond measure.

I think people nowadays are shit scared of risk. Everyone follows guides, reads a dozen opinions, ratings etc. Just to not have that risk pinned to them. If decision was right - they attribute it to thorough research on topic, if decision turns out disastrous - they simply blame the sources for "misleading" them. Or perhaps they just don't want to be responsible? "God wills it" has been replaced by "guide says so" or "research shows that". Nothing changed. No personality, no responsibility, no risk. Just a five star review of a leftmost toilet stand because even most trivial decisions are taken way too seriously. Holy shit replaced by shitty research. Grab a google maps and even streets are rated in terms of congestion, where people go is shown and controlled by algorithm, by ratings.

Ah, yes... fellow NPCs.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Day 51 - my job here is done

  Day 51   I got an offer to join another project in my contract management company. Which means quite a surprise for my current job folks i...